Updated: May 19
Apostle McKenzie Recently Shared This From A.W. Tozer: “Before a sinful man can think a right thought of God, there must have been a work of enlightenment done within him”
A. What Is the Fear of the Lord?
Apostle Shared This Definition: The Fear of God Is: A Holy Dread of Displeasing the Lord.
James 4:5 (AMPC)
"Or do you suppose that the Scripture is speaking to no purpose that says, The Spirit Whom He has caused to dwell in us yearns over us and He yearns for the Spirit [to be welcome] with a jealous love?"
Proverbs 19:10 (AMP)
"The [reverent] fear of the Lord [that is, worshiping Him and regarding Him as truly awesome] is the beginning and the preeminent part of wisdom [its starting point and its essence], And the knowledge of the Holy One is understanding and spiritual insight."
B. God Desires To Be Intimately Close To You.
Exodus 34:14 (AMP)
"For you shall not worship any other god; for the Lord, whose name is Jealous, is a jealous (impassioned) God [demanding what is rightfully and uniquely His]."
Impassioned - Showing intense feeling for. To be Passionate about.
James 4:4-5 (AMPC)
"You [are like] unfaithful wives [having illicit love affairs with the world and breaking your marriage vow to God]! Do you not know that being the world’s friend is being God’s enemy? So whoever chooses to be a friend of the world takes his stand as an enemy of God."
Isaiah 54:5 (ERV)
"Your real husband is the one who made you. His name is the Lord All-Powerful. The Holy One of Israel is your Protector, and he is the God of all the earth!"
Proverbs 3:32 (TPT)
"Every violent thug is despised by the Lord, but every tender lover finds friendship with God and will hear his intimate secrets."
C. Delight In the Fear of The Lord
Isaiah 11:2-3 (NKJV)
"The Spirit of the Lord shall rest upon Him, The Spirit of wisdom and understanding, The Spirit of counsel and might, The Spirit of knowledge and of the Fear of the Lord. His delight is in the Fear of the Lord, And He shall not judge by the sight of His eyes, Nor decide by the hearing of His ears."
John 6:38 (AMP)
"For I have come down from heaven not to do My own will and purpose but to do the will and purpose of Him Who sent Me."
D. The Fear of God Is Your Treasure
1. (MSG): God is supremely esteemed. His center holds. Zion brims over with all that is just and right. God keeps your days stable and secure— salvation, wisdom, and knowledge in surplus, and best of all, Zion’s treasure, Fear-of-God.
2. (AMPC): And there shall be stability in your times, an abundance of salvation, wisdom, and knowledge; the reverent fear and worship of the Lord is your treasure and His.
3. (EXB: Expanded Bible (EXB): He will ·always be your safety [be the foundation/stability of your time]. He is ·full [a rich store/abundance] of salvation, wisdom, and knowledge. ·Respect for [The fear of] the Lord is the greatest treasure [Prov. 1:7].
4. (GNT): And give stability to the nation. He always protects his people and gives them wisdom and knowledge. Their greatest treasure is their reverence for the Lord.
E. Teach Us To Fear Your Name
Psalms 86:11 (AMP)
"Teach me Your way, O Lord, I will walk and live in Your truth; Direct my heart to fear Your name [with awe-inspired reverence and submissive wonder]."
1. Direct: aim (something) in a particular direction or at a particular person.
2. Christian Standard Bible (CSB): Teach me your way, Lord, and I will live by your truth. Give me an undivided mind to fear your name.
3. New International Reader's Version (NIRV): Lord, teach me how you want me to live. Do this so that I will depend on you, my faithful God. Give me a heart that doesn’t want anything more than to worship you.
4. (TPT): Teach me more about you, how you work and how you move, so that I can walk onward in your truth until everything within me brings honor to your name.